Makes 8 medium pitas
- 1tablespoon yeast
- 1.5cups warm water
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1.75cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1.75cups all purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in water for about 5 minutes in the bowl of an electric mixer, watch for yeast to bubble up, showing it's active.
- Add salt and half of the flour, beat with a dough hook to make a batter. Add additional flour until a rough, shaggy mass is formed. Knead 8 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Add more flour if it is too sticky.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 8 pitas for medium sized pita bread.
- Form dough into balls, then flatten with a rolling pin into ¼ inch thick discs. Try and keep an even thickness as this is what helps them ‘puff’.
- Let rest on the floured surface 30-40 minutes until slightly puffed. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- With a large spatula, flip the rounds of dough upside down on to a baking sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes until light golden. Stick around to watch for the first five minutes of baking when the pitas perform their magic and puff up from flat pancakes to proud, four inch high pitas!