Candied Butternut Squash
- 2 medium butternut squash (4 to 5 pounds total)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut off and discard the ends of each butternut squash. Peel the squash, cut them in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into 1 1/4 to 1 1/2-inch cubes or slices and place them in a roasting pan. Add vanilla to melted butter and mix well. Cover squash with melted butter, vanilla brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Toss all the ingredients together and spread evenly in the pan. Roast for 45 to 55 minutes, until the squash is tender and the glaze begins to caramelize. While roasting, turn the squash a few times with a spatula, to be sure it browns evenly.
Serve while hot.